Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Star Trek, Tarzan, and Ghostbusters: A Red Hot Take

Lately I've been seeing a lot more movies than I usually do. That's one of the perks of having someone who wants to go see movies with you. The three I've seen this summer have been the newest works in the Tarzan, Ghostbusters, and Star Trek franchises/intellectual properties/whatever. Here are some stream of consciousness thoughts on them.

My favorite of the three was definitely Star Trek. This movie was fun, fast, and...not very furious. But it was very good. There was a surprising amount of focus on Chekhov, which is kind of a bummer after what happened to Anton Yelchin. Idris Elba was pretty good as the love child of Donald Trump and Big Boss. The scene with the classical music was super fun. I'm interested to see where the franchise goes from here--and I'm also keeping an eye on the new show they're making.

Tarzan was a surprise hit for me. I didn't go in knowing what to expect other than Christoph Waltz. Waltz was just Waltz the whole time and it was great. Samuel L Jackson was the secret proagonist of the film, as he has much more motivation and development than our titular hero. In fact, Tarzan seems more like a force of nature than a character. When discussing what Tarzan will do, the villain says, "He is Tarzan. You are Jane. He'll come."

Ghostbusters is a minefield to talk about, I know. It was kind of a roller coaster ride for me. New Ghostbusters? Meh. All female Ghostbusters? Yeah, okay! First trailer: Oh nooooo. After seeing the movie: Meh. There's no franchise potential here, though. Definitely won't be a sequel. It was, at its peak, a 7/10 for me (With the lower points feeling more like a 5). I'm not a huge Ghostbusters guy, granted. I saw the old movies as a kid but I barely remember them, and I certainly wouldn't hold them up as some kind of masterpiece of comedy. Now, Back To The Future, on the other hand...give me a female reboot of THAT. Sigourney Weaver as Doc Brown? Mae Whitman as Marty McFly? Come on, Hollywood. This is free money.

No comments:

Post a Comment